Recycling in Columbia
It's trendy. It's green! And best of all, it's free! Recycling is easy and more convenient than ever!
Columbia's Public Works department offers curbside recycling is offered on a biweekly basis.
A 96 gallon blue recycling cart will be delivered to your address once you have signed up, and when we have recycling cans in stock. Then, on your pick up day, simply roll the cart out to the street for pick up.
All recyclable materials will be mixed in this single container, requiring no sorting!
- Aluminum, Steel, and Tin Cans (these must be washed free of food debris)
- Cardboard (must be clean and free of food debris)
- Magazines/Catalogs (this includes paperback books)
- #1 and #2 Plastics (found in the triangle on the bottom of the container)
- Paper (including junk mail, NO shredded paper)
Please do not bag recyclables! Any misuse of recycling cart will result in immediate and permanent confiscation.
The most effective rule about whether an item is recyclable is "When in Doubt, Throw it Out!"
Only customers who already receive automated trash service with the city are eligible for the recycling program. At this time, recycling is only available in residential areas. In the meantime, commercial businesses will be placed on a wait list.
Sign Up Now for Free!