Join Columbia Fire & Rescue
Eligibility Requirements for Firefighter:
- Be at least 18 years of age at time of testing.
- Have a high school diploma or GED
- Have a valid Tennessee driver’s license
- Have a Tennessee State EMT License within 6 months of hire date (you must possess and maintain this license as condition of continued employment)
- Complete physical agility course, background check, drug screen and physical
The New Hire Testing Process for Firefighter Recruits Includes:
- Entry-level written test
- Fitness evaluation- Candidate Physical Ability Test (CPAT)
- Series of oral interview panels
Examples of Duties:
- Responds to fire and emergency calls as a member of a fire company.
- Lays hose, carries and sets up ladders, and uses fire equipment to extinguish fires and make rescues.
- Administers first aid.
- Participates in fire prevention inspections.
- Participates in drills and training activities.
- Cleans and maintains fire vehicles, apparatus, and equipment.
- Maintains fire station and grounds.
- Operates department non-emergency vehicles, and when required, drives and operates fire vehicles, apparatus, and equipment.
- Participates in public fire education programs and community risk reduction events.
- Administers First Aid and CPR.
- Participates in Department workout programs.
- Maintains 240 annual training hours.
Apply to Become a Firefighter
Applications for firefighters are accepted online when openings become available. To find out if there are any full-time Firefighter positions currently available CLICK HERE. Once your application has been submitted you will be contacted via email. After successful completion of an ability test, you will be required to complete a written examination. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex or national origin.