The Human Resources Office strives to establish an optimal work environment for obtaining sustained high productivity, continuous improvement, and exceptional customer service. We are focused on building a workforce that better represents our community. We aspire to provide the services so our citizens have a sense of belonging and are proud to claim Columbia as their home and place of work.
We work hard to attract good talent, we want to hire people who are passionate about making a difference. Once they are hired, we want them to stay. Our employees play an important role not only in making our City what it is today, but also in shaping the future of Columbia. We are driven by purpose and people.
Why work for the City of Columbia?
A career in local government is more than a job. It's a way to make a positive impact in the daily lives within our community.
- Columbia is supportive of employee growth and development. It's not just a job, it's a path forward.
- Our team of approximately 400 staff are dedicated to providing superior service to the community.
- We act as good stewards of City resources.
- We value transparency, seeking to build trust with the community by being transparent and honest.
- We are inclusive. One of our core values is to treat all equitably.
- We have great benefits - more than just medical, dental and vision. We offer an employee clinic, wellness program with annual biometric screenings, and membership to the Muletown Recreation Center, just to name a few.
A job with the City of Columbia is one of the best ways to have an impact on your community. Employees at every level have a tremendous amount of pride in knowing that the work they do makes a difference in the daily lives of our residents.
Hiring policies for all positions:
- Applications are accepted only during the time of a posted vacancy.
- Vacancies are advertised on the City's website, Indeed, and Jobs4TN. Additionally, positions requiring special skills or those that are difficult to fill may be advertised on other selected websites, publications, etc.
The City of Columbia recruits, employs, trains, compensates, and promotes without regard to race, creed, color, national origin, age, gender, marital status, veteran's status, or disability. The City of Columbia adheres to Title VI and Title VII of the Civil Rights Act.
The City of Columbia has developed this policy to ensure that all its employees can work in an environment free from unlawful harassment, discrimination or retaliation. The City of Columbia will make every reasonable effort to ensure that all concerned are familiar with these policies and are aware that any complaint in violation of such policies will be investigated and resolved appropriately.
Employees and applicants are protected against employment discrimination and conducted in compliance with equal employment opportunity laws and regulations when it involves:
- Unfair treatment because of race, color, religion, sex (including pregnancy), national origin, age (40 or older), disability, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, genetic information, or any other characteristic protected by law.
- Denial of a reasonable workplace accommodation that the employee may need because of their religious beliefs or disability.
- Retaliation because the employee complained about job discrimination, or assisted with a job discrimination investigation or lawsuit.
The City of Columbia is committed to providing reasonable access and accommodations for people with disabilities upon request. Please call the Human Resources Director at 931-560-1565 for specific requests.